Thursday, May 19, 2011

Book Through Thursday-Double (Age-Appropriate & Age-Inappropriate)














From Booking Through Thursday:

1] Do you read books "meant" for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you're grown; Picture books just for kicks...You know...books not "meant" for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what's written for people your age?

2] In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?
Question One
           I read whatever book tickles my fancy. I find that when I'm feeling especially stressed out the more juvenile the books I read are. My favorite children's book is "Giraffe's Can't Dance"...I went to a conference several years ago about motivating students and differentiated instruction and the speaker opened with this book. I have opened units with this book, started the school year with this book and given it to graduating seniors as presents. I find it amazing that my students (who are mostly sophomores) enjoy and respond to this book. You know, that's what good books do, they grow and change as you do.

Question Two
          Is just as clear cut as the first...I don't think you should...ever. Read with your kids, plan with your kids, discuss with your kids, talk to them about what they want to read and why...but, never, ever censor. Because really once you start when does it stop? What is too "old"? What better way to educate your children than to talk with them about their choices? And, then read or watch along with them and discuss the books/movies/TV shows et cetera that they are into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...