Monday, May 2, 2011

50 Books in a Year: Book #19 The 17 Day Diet

          I am not much of a dieter. The last time I tried to use a book to diet I may have gotten really drunk…no, I don’t want to talk about it, it wasn’t pretty…or maybe it was, you’ll have to ask my friends. I don’t see the point in working out. It wasn’t until I started teaching that I even began gaining weight that I didn’t like and, as I found out after reading, I may not be in the right mind set to diet.
When I saw that Free Press was offering The 17 Day Diet for review, I thought,  “I can do this I can read a book (which is harder than you think when you’ve got a job, a kid, and other books that are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more interesting to read) and diet (including whatever the book said I needed to do) for 17 days to see the results!”. Many of you are snickering right now because you know how naïve I was being, you know that the 17 day diet isn’t just 17 days and you know that reading a diet book is harder than it seems and you know that I am/was/am way in over my head.
It took me until this past Saturday to read the friggin’ book, a book full of side comments that I’m not sure I find motivating, although I think they are meant to be. This book is quite informative, even if you don’t partake of the 51 day, and counting, diet (I suppose it’s like being pregnant they say it’s 9 months, it’s actually 10) you can learn all sorts of facts about the benefits of alcohol, the benefits of being slightly overweight, good fats, bad fats and, frankly, I didn’t know that (according to my height and build) I AM 40 FRIGGIN’ pounds overweight. Sadly, even this has not motivated me to diet.
What has motivated me? What has kept me reading? The pudge, the waistline, the pant size, need I go on…and, while my mind may not be ready the rest of me was ready 5 years ago. So, what am I doing, I’m getting the husband involved, I’m getting my friends involved and well, we are tackling Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet Plan. Truly the plan seems doable, that is as long as these people can make up for the willpower I lack!
Seriously, while I learned a lot and am looking at myself differently, I'm still a little burned by the 17 day gimic, although, in truth, I bet it sells like hotcakes. 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...