Thursday, April 28, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (Coming Soon to a Theater Near You)













From Booking Through Thursday:

If you could see one book turned into the perfect movie–one that would capture everything you love, the characters, the look, the feel, the story–what book would you choose?
            Unfortunately, I'm going to have to dig deep for this one. It seems that EVERY book known to man is being TURNED into a movie, so much so in fact that books, (like Water For Elephants, for instance) read like screenplays. Now, don't get me wrong I enjoy a good screenplay (see post here), but when I'm reading a book I prefer to set the scene, I prefer to see the characters, I prefer to THINK.
            Most of the books I've read this year are either movies, going to be movies, or have had the movie rights sold...sigh...most of the books I love, I loved before they were movies and love still, even if the movie is a horrible adaptation or a good one (see list of top-notch adaptations here and fantasy cast for one of my favorite books EVER here).
           A book I've been thinking about lately (as the 150 year anniversary of the American Civil War just passed recently, more on that later) is The Last Silk Dress. It's about a Southern Belle who decides she's going to help the Confederacy by donating and encouraging others to donate their dresses for Confederate hot air balloons. As she does this, she not only learns more about her family and its past, but about herself. Oh, and there's a love interest too, *whispers* a Yankee! It's young adult fiction and I remember reading it when I was 14 and wondering if I could have done all that Susan did in the midst of war.
           The movie adaptation would have to be so close to the book though, otherwise, I would just be one sad lady.

[Source]

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds really good.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/04/booking-through-thursday_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound like it would make a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see The Last Silk Dress made into a movie,love this genre.

    stop and see mine and my giveaways:http//tributebooksmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed lately that a lot of books seem to have movie rights sold before thay are even published. Seems a little crazy to me.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/04/booking-through-thursday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with pretty much everything you said. The only movie that has been better than the book, imo, is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Maybe that's because I fell in love with the movie before I read the book, or because I can't stand reading novels written in vernacular.

    I've never heard of The Lat Silk Dress but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of it either but I like thee cover. I also like your little owl up there. Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an interesting choice, especially considering the overwhelming flood of vampires and fantasy in the theaters now, it would be a breath of fresh air.

    My BTT:
    http://easternsunset-reads.blogspot.com/2011/04/booking-through-thursday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! thanks for stopping by everyone! this was a very enjoyable BTT and i enjoyed adding many, many, many new books to my TBR because of you all!!! have a lovely evening! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this book before!

    I agree with you on so many books coming out reading more like screenplays and not books. I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...