Monday, January 10, 2011

50 Books in a Year: #2 You Only Live Twice...um...continued...

File:FlemingYOLT.jpgYou only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.
You Only Live Twice, epigraph
          I am still reading this novel. It really isn't a book that can be picked up and read 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there...I will be more purposeful this week, so I can talk about a different book next week.
          The tiny tot also tore out a page of the book. She thinks it is her book and is drawn by the cover. I'm a little disturbed by this fact, seeing as the cover is not the strange frog one (first edition), or the first time in paperback edition, but the one with the half naked lady and the strange mask and skulls.
          But, I digress...
          In looking for covers of the book, I found out that BBC Radio 7 rebroadcast the 1990 radio version of the novel. And, I found out that the movie version of this novel is the first to take a complete deviation from the novel. This probably explains why I don't really like the movie. I prefer my Bond full of scars and inner turmoil, not campy and self-depricating.
          I am enjoying the book, although my favorite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I just don't have the time! :)

Here's a little info to take up your time...not only have times since James Bond changed, but so have the drinks.

Just incase you don't have time to read the WHOLE article here's their recipe for a very modern Bond martini.

The Vesper, 2006

Shake (if you must) with plenty of cracked ice:
  • 3 oz Tanqueray gin
  • 1 oz 100-proof Stolichnaya vodka
  • 1/2 oz Lillet Blanc
  • 1/8 teaspoon (or less) quinine powder or, in desperation, 2 dashes of bitters
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and twist a large swatch of thin-cut lemon peel over the top. Shoot somebody evil.
         
More Bond beverages...@
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think we should have tried that drink last night! :)

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, definitely!!! maybe when we meet again?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...