Sunday, March 6, 2011

Walk On:The Spiritual Journey of U2

From the mouth of Bono
"As an artist, I see the poetry of it. It's so brilliant. That this scale of creation, and the unfathomable universe, should describe itself in such vulnerability, as a child. That is mind-blowing to me. I guess that would make me a Christian. Although I don't use the label, because it is so very hard to live up to. I feel like I'm the worst example of it, so I just kinda keep my mouth shut."


"I love the bit when Christ asked for his greatest hits and he says, 'OK, love God, and love your neighbours as yourself.' Christianity is not complicated, that's what it is."


"And this wise man asked me to stop. He said, Stop asking God to bless what you're doing. Get involved in what God is doing -- because it's already blessed."


"You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that 'as you reap, so you will sow' stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff."

          When I was in college I met a boy who had (if you can believe it) a deeper love/obsession for U2 than I ever could dream. I think that guys are like that you know, they have that one thing that they obsess about and know everything about...football, college basketball, classic cars...et cetera, for this guy it was U2. We had great conversations about Christianity and about being Christian and walking in Christ and often these conversations would come back to U2 and their search for something more than the secular.
         When Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 first came out he recommended the book to me and I read it pretty much in a day. What I like about this book is that it talks about how each member of the band, in his own way,  has figured out what it means to be a follower of Christ. The first edition goes up to the Elevation tour and the second edition is supposed to be an update, covering the Vertigo tour and beyond.
          What I like about this book is that it talks about the inspirations for and lyrics behind some of the band's most popular and prominent songs. It also talks about the fact that what Bono seems to struggle with most is not there's a God or a Jesus in Heaven, but that there are people who judge the band and don't seem to understand that to be Christian means to be imperfect and flawed.
           U2 is spiritual and faithful, this book just shows you how, just incase you couldn't see it because you were too busy looking at all the swearing and drinking.

My Top Ten U2 Songs of Spirituality
(For another list check out @U2 and Into the Wild)

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...