Thursday, March 3, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (New or Used)

          I found a Thursday meme that just sounds delightfully fun and could not resist adding to my list of dailies (I will definitely be doing it often, mostly on Thursdays, but maybe even on Friday or Saturday). Anyway here's last weeks topic for Booking Through Thursday (now I need to go link this answer up and see what this weeks' topic is):
All other things being equal–do you prefer used books? Or new books? (The physical speciman, that is, not the title.) Does your preference differentiate between a standard kind of used book, and a pristine, leather-bound copy?
          I don't care what the book looks like, I care about the immediacy in which I need it. Frankly, when I lived near a used bookstore, I always preferred my books used. There's something mystical and delicious about chasing down a book that you want.
          However, just as with my Nook (more on Nook purchases at a post titled Nookie, Nook, Nook), I have basic guidelines I follow when purchasing a book:
  1. I check the used bookstore first. There I usually buy at least 3 books, even if I can't find the one I'm looking for; happy times.
  2. If I can't find it there and I really want it, I'm already in Springfield so I just go to Barnes and Noble and buy it, unless it's too old to still be on the shelves there.
  3. If I actually want a hard copy then I order the book at my local bookstore or at Barnes and Noble.
  4. If I don't want a hard copy to mark up then I check my Nook.
My favorite used bookstore in Springfield, Missouri.
Feel free to share your answers below, on the original post (above), on FB or on your own blog!

2 comments:

  1. I *LOVE* used books, especially the worn and crinkly paperback kind. They're mystical and delicious like you said. I could spend hours in a used book store combing shelves and rifling through piles hoping to pounce on some cool discovery. Maybe try an author I've wondered about, or an old classic I never got around to reading yet. *sigh*

    It's funny that you posted about this because I just posted a photo of a used book store with a funny name.

    One day I will own my own used book store . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is funny, i do think it's weird how people think about the same things even across continents and countries.

    i love that we share used bookstore love and am going to hop on over to your blog to see that pic.

    good-luck with owning your own store sometime!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...