Monday, March 14, 2011

50 Books in a Year: Book #12 Jane Eyre

          OK, so sad day...I cannot find nor did I bring the Nook charger, which means no more The Apothecary's Daughter until I can remedy the situation.
          On the way here (that means in the airport and on the plane) I started reading another book (one I'm reading for Free Press) and then started, this morning, my official read for this week, Jane Eyre. I have not read more than one book at once in such a long time that I feel like a college student or high schooler balancing my reading between kid, trip, socializing and work...sigh, the olden days.
          Over at Goodreads there's a Jane Eyre challenge, you know read the book/watch the movie type thing. If it wasn't for Goodreads I wouldn't even know there was going to be a new movie. This is how out of it I've been lately.
          I remember reading Jane Eyre, the first time, at about the same time I first read Rebecca. I remember thinking that they had similar moods and tones and...*please don't hurt me* I remember liking Rebecca more. Reading Jane Eyre again, I know the exact reason why I like Rebecca more...I dislike the Dickensian via Great Expectations and Oliver Twist,  Orphan Annie, horrible extended family Pride and Prejudice-esque, A Little Princess (hope I've given you enough literary adjectives to help you understand what I'm talking about) beginning. It doesn't fit with the rest of the book. I can't wait until I get out of this part and into the rest of it...and at approximately 6 chapters a day, I should be there sometime tomorrow.
          Good news is once I'm finished I get to watch the movie. I think it will be a fun date night for when I get back, just me, Christopher Lee, Jane and Rochester. I will not watch the new movie until I finish the book. It's a rule.
          This book also covers two of my reading challenges...WOOT.

4 comments:

  1. Are you really reading Jane Eyre? Oh my goodness it's my favorite book! I found the first 100 pages or so a bit slow, however in retrospect I still enjoyed them and they were very integral to the story. Oh but what a great novel!! I don't like Dickens much either, though I need to re-read some of his stuff, but I don't think Bronte writes much like him at all. Much more gothic romance in my opinion. You must tell me what you think of it when you're done!

    I am going to see the new movie as well but if you want to see a great adaptation try the Masterpiece Theatre version done in 2006 (or 2007, can't recall). It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not really sure how i feel about jane eyre. i do know that i like wuthering heights and emily brontes' writing style more than her sisters.
    i think that dickens and charlotte bronte are the same in the sense that they write on and on about conditions and atmosphere, when i want to know more about characters and feelings.
    she is definitely a gothic romantic, where as he's just boring :D...er...i mean your father of all things victorian and, in a sense, all things romantic...at least british speaking.
    i will definitely tell you what i think. i am alreay liking it more this time around. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like my best friend who also doesn't really like Jane Eyre.
    whereas it's one of my favorite books.

    I've read both Oliver Twist (not one of my favorites) and Great Expectations. I don't see the resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more the dirty orphanage/dirty orphan feeling more than anything else...the so over the topness of cruelty towards someone younger and weaker that you know the story must have come from some place real.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...