Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Quiet Time

After Lila Jane turned two, I'd swear it was seconds after, things began to change...

1] she threw tantrums in stores
2] she was no longer sweet in restaurants
3] she said, "No" and meant it

the most important change...

4] she stopped napping on the weekends or worse, she napped really late and then stayed up really late, and then got up early...argh!

I had to implement something...

We don't really have a formal time for 'quiet time', but it usually happens right when we get home before Chris gets home. I set her down at the table for a snack, pop in a movie or a show from Netflix, get out the drawing pad and crayons or play songs on Youtube and I do something that I need to do. Of course, 'need' is a loose term, as sometimes I just need to finish a book or I need to watch an episode of The X-Files. Most of the time I use that 30 minutes to do a load of dishes or laundry or to grade. It just depends on what tasks I finished on Daddy/Daughter Date Night.

I'd like to say that I've got a handle on this, but I really don't. On weeks that my work is stressful those are the times when I have neither the energy nor the patience for shenanigans and it seems that quiet time doesn't work. It's then that I put my stuff aside (grading and dishes can wait) and hang out with my kid...that always works.

3 comments:

  1. Quiet time is a hard one at my house. My oldest is okay, he'll sit and do a puzzle or watch a show, but my youngest. Most of the time, with whatever he's doing, he wants Mommy to be a part of it. Still, I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no advice, just sympathy. I can't imagine having a small person that I'm responsible for. I have a hard enough time being responsible for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall these days, and let me tell you they will pass.

    I found books worked with my daughter, but my son was much more difficult to please. Until we discovered 'trains' and a small circle of track, which seemed to do the trick!

    It'll work itself out eventually. Good post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...