Tuesday, January 28, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge: Write A Fanfiction

I haven't written creatively in years, not thoughtfully since I taught a creative writing class about 10 years ago and it wasn't until NaNoWriMo 2012 that I realized that I still had it in me. While the book that I wrote in a month is not anywhere near ready for publication (it doesn't really have an ending or a beginning per se) it did make me realize I want to write more. At My Creative Writing Challenge and Yellow Brick Road Fiction) I found creative writing challenges, I've messed them together and here's what I've come up with for my next challenge. I'm combining the best of these two challenges to let the creative juices flow.


Write a Fanfiction

I've been reading fanfiction trying to figure out how to pull it off. I've found that there are two types of fanfic writers (although sometimes they blend) those that just want all the characters to get it on with one another, even if that's not remotely possible (cue all that "Sherlock" fanfic-don't click unless you really, really, really want to, and don't even get me started on "My Little Pony"), or they know the canon so well that they bark at any fiction that deviates from this canon, so the fanfiction is meant to enhance, even if it blends all of these different stories together, (cue most X-Files fanfic) the story or creates the ending that everyone wanted, but the author didn't give. I am intimidated by Fanfiction. If I were to write it I will be showing you, the audience, how much I love a given show or movie or book and it may show me that I'm a little more obsessed than I thought. I'm afraid I might like it, it also feels a little bit like stealing while writing a very possessive love letter and I don't know where to begin as there are so many things (you've read the blog, you know) that I can get just fanatical about.

And, there's fan fiction for EVERYTHING!

Julia Child Doesn't Make House Calls
Ernest Hemingway Parody

And, here's a cite where you can find 46 more!

Want to know more? Click here or here.

Wikipedia Definition (totally intimidating!!!)
Fan fiction, or fanfiction (often abbreviated as fan ficfanfic, or simply fic), is a broadly defined fan labor term for stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's owner, creator, or publisher; also, they are almost never professionally published. Due to these works' not being published, stories often contain a disclaimer stating that the creator of the work owns none of the original characters. Fan fiction is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe and simultaneously existing outside the canon of that universe. Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore tend to presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based.
Fan fiction is what literature might look like if it were reinvented from scratch after a nuclear apocalypse by a band of brilliant pop-culture junkies trapped in a sealed bunker. They don't do it for money. That's not what it's about. The writers write it and put it up online just for the satisfaction. They're fans, but they're not silent, couch-bound consumers of media. The culture talks to them, and they talk back to the culture in its own language.
Lev Grossman, TIME, July 18, 2011
Here's my story (Ok, so for real this isn't my favorite part of the challenge):

Type: Drabble...although it's more like 150 words...
Genre: Cross-over
Topic: "Psych" meets "The Moonspinners"

I may like this...
"The Moon Spinners of...Death"

Gus saw the two on the beach first, but it was Sean who decided to go over.

"I'm Sean and this is my partner Aristotle Onassis Jones. I'm sensing that this hotel isn't just your regular Crete bed and breakfast, although the boygotsyou is quite good."

"Bougastsa," Gus corrected.

"I've heard it both ways." Sean continued, "The innkeeper's brother is lying and there is treasure to be found!"

Nikki looked up from the obviously injured Mark, "How did you...?"

"It doesn't matter," Sean continued, "It would seem that we're staying at The Moon-Spinners of...". He paused for dramatics, "...Death?"

Mark nervously laughed and held his hurt arm. Gus began to protest, "I said I wanted to go on vacation Sean, not solve a hotel mystery."

"Oh, Gus don't be the left-over milk in someone else's cereal bowl. Of course, we're going to help investigate!" He dashed off leaving the others to follow, baffled.

The prompts are:

Day 1: Re-write a classic fairy tale
Day 2: Write a fanfiction
Day 3: A story that takes place pre-1950
Day 4:  An important conversation, in the style of a movie script.
Day 5: A story revolving around an object in your room
Day 6: Start your story with: “He glanced at his watch impatiently…”
Day 7: Create a superhero. Have he/she save the day.
Day 8: Write a prequel to that Superhero. Pre-Superhero life. Maybe their childhood.
Day 9: A story in 250 words or less about your favorite city
Day 10: Start story with: “She touched the little box in her pocket and smiled…”
Day 11: A story where the characters go without power for a day.
Day 12: Describe a significant place, allowing the details to reveal why the place matters. Describe it from a tree or rooftop or from a hawk’s point of view. Describe it from the height of a dog or a turtle.
Day 13: Begin with “I thought I saw…”
Day 14: Choose a photograph from a published collection of black-and-whites, of humans in uncertain conditions. Write the story of one of the individuals or one of the groupings.
Day 15: Write about a stranger you see. Either their back-story or what they are thinking in the moment you see them.
Day 16: Go to iTunes, put your music on random. Write a story about the first song that comes up. (250 words or less)
Day 17: Use time travel in a story
Day 18: A story set in a ghost town.
Day 19: Describe a “first” (first apartment, first kiss, first time driving a car, first lie, first big success, first roller coaster ride, first time in this setting).
Day 20: Use these words in a story: grandfather, photo album, post office, and folder
Day 21: Write about your early memories of faith, religion, or spirituality; yours or someone else’s.
Day 22: Write a story based on a dream you had
Day 23: Describe/fictionalize a childhood memory
Day 24: Write a story that takes place 100 years in the future
Day 25: Write a story about a mythical creature.
Day 26: Write about the 30th picture on your phone or computer. Write about the story behind it, or make up the story behind it.
Day 27: Story taking place during a sporting event (any sport)
Day 28: Story on a ship. Past, present, or future. 
Day 29: Story about space
Day 30: Story or poem about ice

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...