Thursday, September 1, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (Stormy Weather)

         From Booking Through Thursday:

     While my town dries out of record-setting, epic flooding from Hurricane Irene, let me ask you:
     What’s your book with weather events? Hurricanes? Tornadoes? Blizzards? Real? Fiction? Doesn’t matter … weather comes up a lot in books, so there’s got to be a favorite somewhere, huh?
. 
          So, I went with the first book I thought of...The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, the first/second (when I read it for the first time sooooo many years ago it was #1, although everybody knew that Book 6 was #1, strange right?) book in The Chronicles of Narnia. Several other books came to mind namely Ethan Frome set in the bleak New England Winter town of Starkfield (which I assign for reading in January when it's freezing cold and we have like 4 snow days), but I digress. In this The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, The White Witch has put Narnia into perpetual Winter with an evil spell. It is very clever that Lewis made sure to note that it's 'always Winter, but never Christmas' (just incase there were people who thought there might be), this is not a fun time full of sleigh bells and snow ball fights. When Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter first visit Narnia it is covered by a sea of white. I like to imagine when Lucy first came upon Mr. Tumnus and I like to imagine how warm his little house must have been. I like to imagine Edmund eating Turkish Delight because he's so hungry out in the bitter cold and finally, I like to imagine the White Witch, cold and unfeeling in her castle surrounded by ice and snow.


Feel free to share your answers below, on the original post (above), on FB or on your own blog!

6 comments:

  1. Good answers.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers! I love The Chronicles of Narnia! New follower!

    Here's mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great response. The weather does play a very important role in those books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answer. I didn't think about Narnia. Mine is cold too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my absolute favourites but funny enough it did not come spontanously to mind this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DawnTreader, that is quite interesting...dawn. treader. lovely, by the way! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...