Monday, April 22, 2013

26 Books that Changed My Life: #19 Singularity

S: Science


I thought I would spend the month of April delving into the literature that has made me the person I am today.

1] In this list you will find some of my favorite books, but you will also find books that I appreciate and books that I would recommend although they may not be my favorite. These are books that changed my way of thinking or my way of looking the world. These are books that helped solidify the core of who I am.
2] These books are in order of the theme that I came away with not alphabetical by title or author.

About this book:
Barry and Harry Krasner are identical twins, but that's where the resemblance stops. Barry's more athletic, more aggressive - and he's the one who suggests that they house-sit their great-uncle's farm. Harry hopes that it will bring the two of them closer. And it does - because there's something chilling about the farmhouse, something that makes the locals stay far away. The twins are sure that the locked shed on the property is the reason why - but what they find inside is far more horrible than their worst nightmare.

Publication Date:  1985

Why this book:
I love science. I'm not sure when that love began, but I do remember being in high school wondering if I wanted to teach science...of course, math stopped me from pursuing that avenue of teaching, but there is still deep within me a love of all things science-y. 

This is one of the first books I remember reading that had everything that I desired in a book: blackholes, sibling rivalry, cute boys, time travel...I could go on.

After this book, I read every book by William Sleator and then I bought every book by William Sleator and now I recommend every book by William Sleator to my students, that is if they haven't already read them.

2 comments:

  1. This book looks great! I will check it out...I am also going to check out the rest of your picks. I have some catching up to do A...to um S:) Nice to meet you- :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful when a book inspires you. Thanks for sharing that recollection. I think I liked the Famous Five best of all--no Pollyanna.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...