Saturday, December 29, 2012

55 Books in a Year: Book #53 Just for Fins and #62 In Over Her Head

Just for Fins
Reason for reading:
It's the third book in the series and I was a little worried I wasn't going to like it as I was not impressed with book 2, but I wanted/needed to finish the series.
Read this if you like:
Tera Lynn Childs, mermaids, Forgive My Fins (the first book in the series), stories about family, royalty, the ocean without being too technical
My thoughts:
What a lovely ending to the series. At least I hope it's the ending...I know how writers are nowadays. I also like that Lily kind of redeems her not so academic self by having such a passion for the ocean. I like how she is willing to learn from others and I like how she is quite the brave communicator.Quince must complete three challenges to win over Lily and everybody including Doe is rooting for him. This is such a fun, light series and I appreciate that!

In Over Her Head
Reason for reading:
I was curious about what an 'adult' mermaid book might be.
Read this if you like:
Romance novels, books about buried treasure, Splash, the sea and the ocean as it goes into great detail about both
My thoughts:
Gah! There's wayyyy to much ocean description. I don't need to know the name of every creature present. Heck, as a Midwestern I found myself looking up or Googling images just to get an idea of what the flip was going on. Also, I'm beginning to hate this new (?) trend that romance novels have of waiting until about 200 pages in before there's any 'action' and then the 'action' is so prevalent that it is distracting. Parts of this book were really cute, but most of it required too much from me to make it work.


2012 Mermaid books read in order of how much I like them
  1. Tangled Tides *****
  2. Between the Land and the Sea ****
  3. Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings ****
  4. Just for Fins ****
  5. The Lure of Shapinsay ****
  6. Fins are Forever ***
  7. The Little Mermaid ***
  8. Sea Change ***
  9. In Over Her Head ***
  10. Everblue **

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...