Friday, April 22, 2011

Reading Questionnaire

[Source]
1. ON YOUR NIGHTSTAND NOW : in my book bag…reading in my Nook: Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray and actual book Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

2. BOOK YOU'VE "FAKED" READING : um…for classes I’ve faked many books(The Sound and the Fury comes to mind), but for ‘real’ life I read all the books I chose, even if I read parts really fast so the book can just be OVER!!!.
3. BOOK YOU BOUGHT FOR THE COVER : a book I have bought this year because of the cover is Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin




4. FAVORITE BOOK WHEN YOU WERE A CHILD - Please see the following post

5. BOOK THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE : (I’m just going off the cuff here) the first book that comes to mind…High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, Evening by Susan Minot

6. FAVORITE LINE FROM A BOOK : "I don't make comparisons. I never think of myself in relation to anyone else. I just refuse to measure myself as part of anything." ~The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand 

7. TOP FIVE FAVORITE AUTHORS : Michael Ondaatje, Jane Austen, Ayn Rand, Susan Minot, Jane Smiley, Henry James

8. BOOKS YOU RECOMMEND AS REGENERATION WHEN PEOPLE SAY, "I'M BORED BY ALMOST ALL CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN WRITERS." : Here's a friggin' good list I didn't create, it just depends on who's talking to me about what AWESOME American novelist I recommend, but you'd be amazed at how many of my students I get interested in reading The Fountainhead and that's a pretty long book!

9. BOOKS YOU CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS NOT READ AND LOVED : The Joy Luck Club, The English Patient

10. BOOK YOU ARE AN "EVANGELIST" FOR: The Hours by Michael Cunningham...if you haven't read it and you are a woman whose life is simple, but passionately yours read it now...heck, if you are a breathing human read it. Cunningham brilliantly weaves the stories of Virginia Woolf writing Mrs. Dalloway, a modern day Clarissa throwing a party for her brilliant writer friend and a 50s housewife who wants to be more into one beautiful story about what it means to live your life for yourself, even if it isn't grand you've made it yours.

11. BOOK YOU MOST WANT TO READ AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME: The Catcher in the Rye. I read it for a Summer read at Missouri Scholars Academy and when we were discussing it our instructor talked about the fact that you need to read that book 3 times. Once at the age we were (which was 15), once after we got out of college (around the age of 25 he said) and once after we had children and he said that we would see Holden  differently each time. I haven't read it after having a child, but I did read it when I was 25 and definitely saw Holden as a whiny teenager with no follow through, whereas when we were 15 I thought he hung the moon.

I found this questionnaire at Jen's Book Thoughts

2 comments:

  1. I own The Hours & The English Patient but have not read either yet. I will one day, and will probably love them!

    Have you read Alice I Have Been yet? I'm really interested it getting that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, read all of them!!! all three are in my top 5 books of all time!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...